Pupil Care

Pupils’ Well Being


First aid

The trained first aiders are in school to assess which steps should be taken should an accident occur or when a pupil is unwell. First aid treatment may be given for cuts, abrasions and suspected broken limbs. If necessary, doctors or hospitals will be contacted and where possible, parents telephoned, though it may be necessary to carry out emergency measures before this is possible.

If we have full written parental/carer consent in place, we will give students Paracetamol for minor conditions such as headaches.

Please find below a consent form which we would ask you to complete and return if you would like the school to give your child pain relief on your behalf. By giving your consent on this form, you are giving your permission for the school to act on your behalf in administering pain relief and accept that we will do so without contacting you first.

Child Protection law

The school has a legal responsibility under the Child Protection Law to contact Social Services or the Police if staff consider a pupil is in danger through abuse or neglect. It may be that under these circumstances parents would not be contacted in advance.


The school has a Counsellor who works Monday to Thursday and three Volunteer Counsellors who come into school one morning each week. Students meet their Counsellor once a week following a mutual agreement between parents, students and the school. There is also a facility for pupils to refer themselves to the Counsellor, in which case parents would not necessarily be informed. There is often a waiting list for this service. The Counsellor is qualified  and accredited with the BACAP and has been a member of Tring School for a number of years.

Special Educational Needs

Pupils with Special Educational Needs are also well catered for at Tring School. The staff from the Learning Support Centre attend selected lessons to help those pupils with learning difficulties and also co-ordinate the writing of Individual Education Plans.


Fair Processing – Privacy Notice – Data Protection Act 1998

Tring School Pupil Hydration

The school is keen to promote the health benefits of providing pupils with drinking water and has installed 8 drinking fountains in the school to help promote hydration in the classroom, stating, “School children who have regular free access to drinking water have better concentration levels and perform better in the classroom.”

Medical experts advise that school age children should consume about 2 litres of water every day at regular intervals, this amount is increased during hot weather. With pupils spending most of their waking time at school it is vital that they are provided free and easily accessible drinking water by the school.

Medical experts believe that failing to keep the body hydrated can cause problems such as constipation, continence problems, urinary tract infections and kidney stones. It is also a well established medical fact that good hydration levels can reduce the risk of developing cancer in later life.

Hydration plays a critical role in the classroom due to the effects of dehydration on concentration and the brain. It is a well established medical fact that dehydrated pupils will have lower levels of mental agility and alertness and find concentrating in class more difficult.

There is no government regulation outlining drinking water requirements in schools and that coupled with the inherent issue of vandalism has historically meant school boards have resisted offering easily accessible water coolers in the playground.

MIW’s cutting edge range of water coolers for schools are designed to be installed in public areas and are built to be virtually tamper proof reducing the risk of vandalism.

At Tring School the water coolers are proving very popular with staff and pupils. “We love our new water coolers they are a great addition to the school and the health benefits to our pupils are there for all to see” said headteacher, Mrs S Collings.