The Announcement of the 2014 CILIP Carnegie Medal Winner was preceded by a pizza lunch in the LRC to celebrate the students’ commitment, determination and engagement with the Tring
School Shadowing Group and their task to read as many of the eight shortlisted titles as possible between March and June.
This year’s books were challenging and unusual in that half of the nominated titles dealt with themes of kidnap and captivity. As ever the students rose to the task, with two students, Ellie Storr and Aysha Watkins, receiving a prize for reading all eight shortlisted titles, quite an achievement – well done to them!
More prizes were on offer as the boys pitched against the girls for a fun, quick fire Carnegie inspired quiz which resulted in a win for the girls and chocolate for all.
Kevin Brooks’ The Bunker Diary was announced as the 2014 CILIP Carnegie Medal Winner.
What is the best thing about being part of the Shadowing group?
- “Hearing different opinions of the same book” “Reading good books and having fun”
- “Reading books you wouldn’t normally pick up”
- “That you get to meet and talk about what’s good or not ”
- “Being able to share your love of books with other people”
- “Everyone having different views about the same book