The LRC was transformed into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this week as students and staff celebrated the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone 20 years ago. In the weeks running up to the big day there had been a poster competition running in Tutor Time to try to identify the members of staff who had assumed disguises and transformed themselves into characters from the book and a weekly quiz based on the book. Our top Harry Potter fan scored 77 out of 80 and won two tickets to Harry Potter World, which had been kindly donated by the Tring Lions.
The biggest fans of the book attended a party which they got to by going through Platform 9 3/4 and into the Learning Resources Centre where they were all sorted into houses ready to enjoy the afternoon. A large number of the students came already dressed up but there were also costumes for them to put on to have their photo taken in the photo booth. A treasure hunt was set with all the items hidden around the LRC after which they enjoyed some themed snacks and a glass of ‘butterbeer’ which had been brewed by Mr Hitchcock, one of our parents.
The day was a huge success seeing many of the staff dressing up and the students accessorising their school uniform. Year 9 student Kimberley said “ It helps you make new friends and find people with the same interests as you”, and Sam Bettridge said the displays in the LRC were “top notch”.
- What year did Dumbledore defeat the dark wizard Grindlewald?
- What is the name of Nicholas Flamel’s wife?
- What is Locomotor Mortis?
- What was outlawed by the Warlocks’ Convention of 1709?
- What are Common Welsh Green and Hebridean Blacks?
- How many of Charlie’s friends collected Norbert from the top of the tower at Hogwarts?
- Who did Harry, Hermione & Neville meet in the Entrance Hall at 11 pm?
- What colour is unicorn blood?
- What type of creature is Ronan?
- In Chapter 15 how many times is the word Voldemort written?
- Which book did Harry take outside the school and consequently 5 points were taken from Gryffindor?
- What did Seamus Finnigan have for breakfast?
- What colour are the Gryffindor Quidditch robes?
- Who is the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team?
- By how many points did Gryffindor win the Quidditch match?
- Who is the librarian in the Hogwart’s Library?
- What did Mr and Mrs Dursley send to Harry for his Christmas present?
- On Christmas day, who kissed Professor McGonagall and made her blush?
- Finish this sentence – “Who’s there?” squawked the _______ _______.
- What is inscribed around the top of the mirror?
- How many staircases in Hogwarts?
- Who has lamp-like eyes?
- Finish this sentence. I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even ………… …….
- What is a Bezoar?
- How many points did Harry lose for Gryffindor in his first potions class?
- Which football team does Dean Thomas support?
- Where does Malfoy suggest he and Harry meet for the Midnight Duel?
- What type of wood is the handle of Harry’s Nimbus Two Thousand?
- A quidditch team has how many players?
- Who is Harry paired up with in his Charms lesson?
- What time does the train to Hogwarts leave Kings Cross Station?
- Who was the second Weasley to go through the wall to Platform 9 ¾?
- What is Alberic’s surname?
- What is Neville’s toad called?
- Where do the brave at heart dwell?
- Whom is the 4th person to put the sorting hat on?
- Who says Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
- What is the password to enter the Gryffindor common room?
- What flavour was the green Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavour Bean that Ron tried?
- Which house was Justin Finch Fletchley sorted into?
- What is Hagrid’s first name?
- What else did Hagrid take out of his pocket apart from a copper kettle, a pack of sausages, a poker, chipped mugs and a bottle of amber liquid?
- Who called Albus Dumbledore a “crackpot old fool”?
- Who wrote A History of Magic?
- What size cauldron will Harry need in his first year at Hogwarts?
- What does Professor Quirrell teach?
- What costs seventeen sickles an ounce?
- How many knuts in a sickle?
- What smells like bad eggs and rotten cabbage?
- Whose wand is 16” & Oak?
- What colour eyes does Harry Potter have?
- What was the first rule for a quiet life with the Dursleys?
- How many presents did Dudley get for his 10th birthday?
- Who is missing from this clowder (clowder means group of cats)?
- Which country was the boa constrictor born in?
- How did Mrs. Figg break her leg?
- What is a boater?
- Where was Marge on holiday?
- Which county do the Dursleys live in?
- How many letters had arrived by the Friday?
- What do Grunnings make?
- What colour cloak is Professor McGonagall wearing?
- Who liked Albus Dumbledore’s new earmuffs and made him blush? (Full name)
- Who is big and beefy with hardly any neck? (Full name)
- On the motorbike journey to Privet Drive, baby Harry fell asleep just as hagrid was flying/driving over which city?
- What is the name of the weather man? (Full name)
- Who is Lily Potter’s sister? (First name)
- Who may have set off shooting stars in Kent? (Full name)
- What is Dumbledore’s first spoken sentence?
- Who lent Hagrid a motorbike to bring baby Harry to Privet Drive? (Full name)
Students and staff have started to ‘shadow’ the judging process for the CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Children’s Book Awards; reading, discussing and reviewing the books on the shortlist selected by CILIP’s panel of Librarian judges. Our Carnegie shadowing group is open to all – we meet on Wednesday lunchtimes in the LRC. Call in to the LRC for more information, borrow one of the 8 shortlisted books and start reading.
- Visitors from China13th October 2017 - 1:37 pm
- Tring School featured in the Parliamentary Review 201719th September 2017 - 3:08 pm
- Teacher Training through School Direct with the Dacorum Teaching School Alliance6th September 2017 - 9:56 am
- Tring School reports exceptional A-level and BTEC results17th August 2017 - 4:34 pm
Head Teacher: Mrs S Collings
Tel: 01442 822303